SOL SF 1 Helmet – Short Term ReviewNovember 8, 2016
The SOL SF 1 Helmet is more to what the eye can see and makes for a true mate, one that keeps your soul where it should be – within (well at least for now). While on the hunt for a good touring helmet it became evident that the helmet should not only be comfortable and stylish but should also be functional.
The SOL Helmet SF 1 is more to what the eye can see and makes for a true mate. One that keeps your soul where it should be – within (well at least for now). While on the hunt for a good touring helmet it became evident that the helmet should not only be comfortable and stylish. Additionally, it should also be functional.
SOL SF 1 Helmet – And thus it came to be
The SOL became a sleeper hit amongst some of the members of the Naked Wolves India fraternity. Much to the likes of Wrangler Denims backed True Wanderer finalist Kusumakar Dwivedi whom sported a pristine white Sol lid. Preetam Bose sported a black one during his Tour of India. With its contemporary yet subtlety chiseled out curves I figured that the Sols were lids to ride for.
SOL SF 1 Helmet – Sells like hot cakes
Beyond the motorcycling groups, one of India’s leading stunt team also sports the SOL helmets during their events. Because they seemed to go off the shelves before they can arrive, an advance booking reserved my SOL helmet.
SOL SF 1 Helmet – Features
- 8 vents 10 intake vents and 8 exhaust vents to get the hot air out
- Max air flow is achieved through shell comfort liner vents
- High air flow top intake vents feature larger controls for easy use with gloves
- Lightweight, multiple shells and EPS giving the best industry fit
- DOT approved, lightweight thermo-poly alloy shell with water decals and quality clear coat finish
- Plush, removable, washable COOLMAX interior
- Removable, adjustable cheek pads with optional sized cheek pads
- Interior designed for noise reduction with noise reduction cheek pads, vented chin curtain and rear neck roll
- Padded chin strap with D-ring closure and retention snap
- Anti-scratch optically corrected shield with easy tool-less removal
- Molded front air deflector directs hot breath air away from shield
- Adjustable chin vent directs fresh air upward across the inside of shield to help reduce fogging
SOL SF 1 Helmet – Now the review:
The primary visor comprises of anti fog clear glass that also does its bit to keep the wheezing of the wind and the traffic decibel levels out. The inner visor is a UV400 dark glass. This is indeed a boon for those who tour during most part of the day. With the sun visor down it helped keep the heat out on all occasions.
Yes the 3 modes (solid, slow & fast)of the hazard flasher indeed is an attention puller irrespective of the time of day. About in-helmet comfort, it seems to bring in its fair share of noise. While on a recent interstate trip there was an odd whistling sound that kicked in whenever a look over the shoulder was required.
In terms of wind deflection/resistance at top speed, since at the time of travel the wind resistance was minimal it was hard to tell. While riding at night early hours the use of a balaclava or similar apparel was required to keep out the gusts from causing a brain freeze. Last but not the least, the Double D ring strap takes some time getting used to however it does have a great fastening system. We are hunting for a sweet spot to mount a camera without interfering with its dynamics.